Dr. Yuping Zeng, Associate Professor
"Understand the expectations and develop a time management strategy."
- Ph.D. in Strategic Management and International Business – Peking University, 2007
- M.A. in Economics – Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, 2002
- B.A. in Urban Economics – Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, 1999
- Received tenure in 2016
- Published articles in journals such as the Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Management Studies, and Management International Review
- Taught Strategic Management at the MBA level in multiple formats (weekend, 10-week face-to-face, 8-week hybrid, 8-week online)
- Developed an MBA elective course and taught it in multiple formats (10-week face-to-face, 8-week hybrid, 8-week online)
- Taught undergraduate Strategic Management face-to-face, in a flipped class format and a pure online format
In which online program do you teach?
What types of projects can online students expect in your courses?
- Strategic Management: discussion board, quizzes, simulation, video presentation
- Competing in Emerging Markets: discussion board, research papers, video presentation
What do you want students to learn in these courses? What is the expected learning outcome?
Strategic Management: student will develop skills in (1) industry and competitive analysis in a global environment; (2) understanding how firms can develop and sustain competitive advantage using ethical decision-making; (3) understanding how individual and organization context affects strategy formulation and implementation.
Competing in Emerging Markets: students will develop skills in (1) recognizing characteristics of the business and institutional environments that distinguish emerging markets from developed countries; (2) evaluating the business and institutional environments of a particular emerging market using both quantitative and qualitative methods; (3) identifying the opportunities and challenges associated with doing business in emerging markets; (4) identifying strategies that allow firms to navigate the challenges and opportunities in emerging markets; (5) applying theoretical concepts and analytic tools to solving management issues in the context of emerging markets.
When did you start teaching?
What advice would you give to those considering this online program?
Understand the expectations and develop a time management strategy.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I almost completed the CPA exam in China before I decided to go to my Ph.D. program. That experience seems to be unrelated to my current profession, but is actually very helpful because I teach Strategic Management and need to have a basic understanding about financial numbers. The take-away is that everything you learn will be useful at some point.