Dr. Joseph Vithayathil, Assistant Professor
"I hope to make a lasting impact on student lives and careers in the areas of ethics, professionalism and technology."
- PhD – University of California, Irvine, 2013
- MBA – Harvard University, 1980
- MS – Washington University in St. Louis, 1976
- BSEE – Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1974
Joseph Vithayathil is an Assistant Professor of Computer Management and Information Systems in the School of Business at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. He was previously in the technology industry and has extensive professional and entrepreneurial experience in global Information Technology and executive management. He serves on the board of directors of a technology company that designs, develops and produces energy efficient power semiconductors and subsystems using Silicon Carbide (SiC).
Dr. Vithayathil teaches courses on e-commerce, Information Technology (IT) infrastructure, business analytics, security and cloud computing, and has taught graduate courses in marketing and the use of IT for management.
Dr. Vithayathil's research interests are in the area of Economics of Information Systems and the application of Economic Theory, Agency Theory and the related issues of Moral Hazard, Adverse Selection, Information Asymmetry and Incentives in the context of Information Systems. Specific research topics include Governance of Information Technology, Corporate Governance, the impact of Cloud Computing and Social Media on organizations, and Corporate Social Responsibility.
His research has been published in leading journals including Journal of Management Information Systems (JMIS), Management Information Systems Quarterly (MISQ), Information Systems Journal (ISJ), Journal of Strategic Information Systems (JSIS), Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management (CSREM), and has a forthcoming article in International Journal of Information Technology and Management (IJITM).
Links to share?
In which online programs do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
What types of projects can online students expect in your course?
Team project that conceives, analyzes and applies and Information Systems solution to a business problem.
What will students study in this course?
- DuPont Analysis framework for Performance
- Credit risk, Liquidity risk, Interest Rate Risk, Capital Risk analysis with financial ratios
What do you want students to learn in these courses? What is the expected learning outcome?
- Achieve an understanding of managerial issues surrounding the development and use of information systems and technology in a modern business organization.
- Understand and demonstrate the ability to apply systems theory to the development of alternative solutions for situations faced by organizations.
- Be familiar with the state-of-the-art with respect to computer hardware, software, database systems, data communications, disaster recovery, and data security.
- Understand potential uses of information systems for a competitive advantage.
- Achieve an understanding of the ethical issues surrounding the use of information systems.
- Conduct a real-world problem analysis of a current business challenge and develop a recommendation report for an information systems-based solution.
What advice would you give to those considering this online program?
Be prepared to work very hard as the schedule is accelerated, demanding, grueling and hopefully also fun and interesting.
Why did you start teaching?
To share my experiences and expertise with current and future professionals and to learn from the students through a diversity of views and experiences. I hope to make a lasting impact on student lives and careers in the areas of ethics, professionalism and technology.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
As a hobbyist, built audio amplifiers, loudspeaker systems, crossovers and electric guitar pickups. Play tennis and squash; jog, and play intermediate level guitar. Have a collection of guitars and rare scotch.