Dr. Riza Demirer, Professor
"The job market is very competitive and professional qualifications are needed to stand out in the crowd and get the job you want. [A] master's program provides this opportunity, and the online option offers the flexibility you need."
- PhD in Business – University of Kansas, 2003
- MS in Operations Research – Lancaster University, 1995
- BS in Industrial Engineering – Bogazici University, 1994
- Research Fellow, The Economic Research Forum. 2013–To Date.
- Invited speaker, "Is there an oil risk premium in oil exporting stock markets? An asset pricing perspective," Economic Research Forum's 20th Annual Conference, Cairo (Mar. 22–24, 2014).
- Keynote speaker, "Risk Management in Emerging Markets," 5th Izmir Economic Congress, Izmir (Oct. 30–Nov. 1, 2013).
- Invited speaker, "Impact of Global Shocks and Volatility on Herd Behavior in an Emerging Market: Evidence from Borsa Istanbul," Borsa Istanbul Finance and Economics Conference (BIFEC), Istanbul (Sep. 30–Oct. 1, 2013).
- Keynote speaker, The Middle East Conference–The Economic Context: Resources, Globalization and Prosperity. Stephen F. Austin State University, Houston (Oct. 18-19, 2012).
Links to share?
In which online program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
What types of projects can online students expect in your course?
Stock research, portfolio management and evaluation. Involves research paper and video presentations.
What do you want students to learn in these courses? What is the expected learning outcome?
To develop an understanding of the methodologies used by professionals to analyze security markets, understand the available evidence, and use it to make investment decisions.
To develop awareness about news and issues related to companies, industries, and the economy and how it relates to the securities markets.
To become familiar with investment terminology, concepts and principles.
What advice would you give to those considering this online program?
The job market is very competitive and professional qualifications are needed to stand out in the crowd and get the job you want. [A] master's program provides this opportunity, and the online option offers the flexibility you need.
Why did you start teaching?
I like to share the knowledge and help my students invest in their future and human capital.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I don't like money, but teach my students how to make more of it.